Thursday, May 10, 2012

Come See About Me


Over the past few months, I've been thinking about my Mama a lot more than I normally do (which is a lot anyways). My Mama got diagnosed with lymphatic cancer and has just started an aggressive treatment of chemo followed by radiation. She's having a rough go at it right now, as the side effects have been harsh on her. Being about 1,500 miles away has made me feel useless and helpless at times, but I try to talk to her over the phone at least every 2 or 3 days to check up on her. She's in good hands, with great doctors, and my amazing family taking care of her. After getting off the phone with her this evening, I was feeling disconnected and a bit down over the whole situation. As I was sitting on the couch, having myself a little pity party, I remembered one of my absolute favorite memories from my childhood. More than one specific memory, it's more a collage of all the instances my Mama would dance and sing around the house with me, listening to music. Sometimes it was what was popular and on the radio at the time (Madonna, Michael Jackson), but more times than not, it was Diana Ross and The Supremes. My mother loves Motown, and that was passed down to me as well. Motown music, especially The Supremes, can raise my spirits higher than any other genre of music. Pure musical bliss. There are a ton of "greatest hits" collections out there for The Supremes, but I think The Definitive Collection is a great jumping off point for their music. Enjoy!

Diana Ross and The Supremes: The Definitive Collection

My absolute favorite songs by The Supremes are "You Can't Hurry Love" and "The Happening". Here's The Supremes performing The Happening

No comments: